Scented soy candles are a wonderful way to add atmosphere and fragrance to your home so long as they are treated with a little respect.
Here are some candle safety guidelines:
Soy candles require a slightly larger wick than paraffin candles and proper burning and care of the wick is essential to ensure safety.
Although the wicks used are self trimming wicks that curl into the flame it is important to remember that a wick should be no larger than 0.5cm so before each lighting to prevent the flame from becoming too large and the wick from smoking trim if necessary.
The maximum recommended burn time is 3-4 hours per burn. Candles allowed to burn for longer than this may smoke.
If the flame smokes it must be extinguished and the wick trimmed before relighting.
The container will get hot whilst the candle is burning - never touch the surface of the container whilst it's lit.
Extinguish the candle and allow to cool before touching or moving.
Keep the candle covered with the silver lid to prevent debris/dust building up within the container.
Never leave burning candles unattended.
Keep them away from children and pets.
Extinguish candles with a candle snuffer. Do not blow them out. Never use water to extinguish a candle.
Ensure candles are placed apart to prevent heat transfer - especially pillar candles as heat from one can cause the candle to melt and spread wax and flame.
Place the candle away from draughts which can cause uneven burn and smoke.
Place candles on a suitable heat-resistant surface to prevent damage to furniture.
Discontinue use when 1cm of soy wax remains at the bottom of the container.